East Midlands Cargo
East Midlands Airport is the UK’s busiest ‘pure’ cargo airport and second only to London Heathrow in terms of total cargo.
East Midlands (EMA/EGNX) handles over 328,000 tonnes of cargo each year. EMA is the UK hub for DHL, TNT and UPS, and is the UK's main air hub for Royal Mail.
With ample room to grow, the airports thriving cargo facilities are expanding to meet the demands of importers and exporters from across the UK. Able to accommodating the largest freight and passenger aircraft, EMA supports a vibrant cargo logistics operation 24/7.
Fees and charges
Schedule of Charges and Terms & Conditions of Use
1 April 2017 to 31 March 2018
- Intercontinental Cat IIIb 2893m / 9492ft runway
- 24 hour operations with no slot restrictions
- Excellent good weather record
- Central UK location adjacent to the UK motorway network with over 89% of England and Wales within a 3 to 4 hour truck drive-time.
- Frequent scheduled air cargo truck services to all major UK airports
- Broad on-site cargo community
- Five airside cargo terminals offering over 865,000 sq. ft of undercover cargo processing area
- Over 2 million sq. ft of dedicated cargo apron/ramp space with handling capability for multiple AN124s / B747Fs / 777Fs
- Interline non-stop cargo connections to major cities throughout Europe and North America
- Experienced in the handling of the world’s cargo aircraft, including the AN-225, B747-8F.
- A380 approved
- Specialists in the handling of “outsize” cargo
- EU listed Border Inspection Post for animal products
- Revolutionary pricing structure to benefit cargo aircraft operators
- “Freighter Friendly” airport management
Border Inspection Post
East Midlands Airport is approved as a Border Inspection Post (BIP) on the European Union’s “List of Border Inspection Posts”. EMA became operational as a BIP in February 1995. A 4,500 sq.ft, state of the art facility, became operational in May 1999.
The EMA BIP is approved for Third Countries (non-EU members) imports of:
- Packaged Animal products for human consumption imported at ambient temperatures
- Packaged Animal products not intended for human consumption imported at ambient temperatures.
Frozen or chilled goods and live animals cannot be handled at the EMA BIP. The facility is available H24 by contacting North West Leicestershire District Council, Environmental Health (BIP operators).
The EMA BIP is operated by North West Leicestershire District Council and manned on Thursdays from 8.30am for a minimum of two hours. At other times a call-out procedure is operated by contacting North West Leicestershire District Council Environmental Health Department on the numbers below.
Environmental Health - North West Leicestershire District Council
Out of hours Tel: 01530 454 556 (a voicemail facility is in operation for out of hours enquiries)
Official Veterinarian - Eville & Jones Ltd
Tel: 0113 284 0400
Fax: 0113 284 0429
The Leicester Animal Health Office
Tel: 0116 278 7451
Fax: 0116 277 0153
For general enquiries about importing animals and products of animal origin you can contact: Animal Plant & Health Agency (APHA) - Centre for International Trade,Carlisle
Telephone: 03000 200 301
Animal Health / Environmental Health can provide assistance on the types of products requiring BIP clearance as the list is expanding all the time.
EMA is also authorised as “a port of entry” for plants, fruit, vegetables and seeds. DEFRA are responsible for the inspection of such imports and the contact is:
APHA Plant Health & Seeds Inspectorate
2nd Floor, Apex Court, City Link, Nottingham NG2 4LA
Tel: 02082256138( direct line )
The Border Inspection Post is located airside in the 'Critical Part' between the central and eastern aircraft parking aprons. However please note the BIP office is NOT permanently manned and the NWLDC Environmental Health number should be contacted if there is no answer at the BIP:
BIP Tel/Fax: Direct Line 01332 852 919 (or 01332 852 852 ext.2919)
East Midlands Airport has encouraged the development of a thriving and balanced air cargo community.
To speak to someone about cargo opportunities at MAG airports, please contact one of the team:
Head of Cargo & General Aviation
Key Account Manager, Cargo & General Aviation